Queen Bee painting process

Time for a new process post. This one came about as another in the series that started with Lucinda. I was looking for a bee theme here and always had these colours in mind for it.

I started with my plywood, sanded down with a clear binder medium which works as a primer. I sketched the face on with my charcoal, using my initial sketch as reference.

I then painted in the face, I wanted her to be darker than Lucinda but she has a similar face. So that I could keep the grain of the board showing through somewhere I chose a victorian type collar, keeping it plain. I really like Victorian clothing and using them in art, so I use old photos from that era a lot when getting ideas.


Playing around with her clothing then I added her wings, keeping then as understated as I could, didn’t want her to be fairy-like.

I added her ruffle and earrings, keeping my palette simple. Her diadem, or tiara gave me a lot of design frustration. It’s very easy to get cutesy which is exactly what I didn’t want. So I came up with a mish mash of ideas that tied in with the rest and left me satisfied enough to move forward.

Hair. It took forever! I played around a bit with some ideas but it turned out that I just didn’t need them. I added my bees and tweaked and shaded and spent a bit of time with her every few days.


Thanks for taking a look!

About these ads

About Sarah Mac

31, artist, procrastinator, coffee drinker from Australia.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Queen Bee painting process

  1. Amy Whitley says:

    You are incredibly awesome. The colors…!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s