I just finished a new painting and have photographed as I went along, so anyone interested could see how she evolved. I really like looking at these from other artists, so here’s my contribution.
This characater, ‘Lucinda’ started as a sketch 12 days ago. My Dad gave me a collection of Victorian era portraits, and the faces and the clothes inspired this.
From the sketch I drew it onto a larger board (45 x 60 cm)in charcoal.
I also shaded her hair which I do so that I can see what the hair is doing. If I just leave it, the painting part is a lot more difficult for me. Then I sparayed fixative on the charcoal (which was a bit fruitless but I learned something). Then I painted a wash of colour on the hair. This worked way better than fixative, but left it muddied because it wasn’t opaque yet.
I took a couple of days to finish the hair. Every colour that’s in this painting is in the hair. It’s important, for colour harmony to establish a few basic colours and use just those for the whole painting, unless you deliberately want a diverse pallette.
Her face was next, applying really light washes until I was happy.
The lilies took the longest for me, I’m definitely not well practiced in the botanicals! Had a great time with the cheeky little birds though.
This photo was taken under the light at night, but I kind of like the effect. This was the beginning of the background, a wash. I liked the drip effect but then decided it wasn’t what I was going for on this particular painting so I fixed that up with trial and error and sandpaper.
I added in her clothing and little birdhouse necklace, and finished. Tweaked a few colours in photoshop.
Now I have to figure out whether to add a glaze or frame behind glass, not sure. I’ll ponder it while I walk the dog who’s been ever so patient while I’ve been stuck into this painting! Poor Max.
(Edited to add: I think I’ll go for glass)
Thanks for looking! Prints available here. T-Shirt or sticker available here.